Sunday, January 27, 2008

Understanding Comics

My Thoughts on Scott McCloud’s “Understanding Comics”

I loved the fact that he completely puts it out there that he didn’t like comics in the beginning, but his friend showed him the light and he was hooked. He became obsessed with drawing comics and/or graphic novels, and it made him who he is today. I also like how part of the graphic novel is McCloud, the character, in front of an audience, trying to correctly identify what a graphic novel really is classified as. I like how some words are defined below all of the boxes, so even the layman can understand them I never really understood juxtaposed until it was used on page seven and the definition was given. It made a lot of sense! He gives a brief definition of what a comic is and what it is supposed to contain, roughly, then continues to explain it in more depth. I liked when he used the hieroglyphics to demonstrate the fact that even back then, they had juxtaposed pictures that told a story! In the end of it, he throws out that there are so many different things that comics can and do explore. One thing I have learn about this is that comics are so multidimensional and they have so many different aspects to share.

3 comments:

The Nova Cellist said...

I didn't like "Understanding Comics" as much as I did "The Vocabulary of Comics." I agree that it was interesting to see his personal background with comics and how he bacame who he is now, but as far as understanding the concepts such as what a comic is, I felt it was too drawn out for a mere definition.

Unknown said...

Good post, I also liked the way he jsut put it out there, and gave us the truth about how he slowly grew into liking comics and graphic novels.

Nikolee said...

I liked how his friend got him into to comics,as well. But even further I liked that he admitte that he hadn't allways been a fan.