Monday, March 24, 2008

V for Vendetta

I finished the book on this second read not only because I thought we were supposed to have it done for Tuesday, but also because I was really enjoying it and barely noticed I had passed the stopping point and had almost finished the book.
I certainly enjoyed reading V for Vendetta; the themes are definintly things I find interesting. Evey's Phantom of the Opera-esque crush on V in the beginning, V's anarchist outlook-- anarchy is not chaos; it is without leaders not without order, the politics, the relationships, and the suspense were all pretty intriguing in this novel. However, keeping up with characters and who is saying what proved to be a bit of a challenge since in some of the pictures the word bubble is not directed to someone; I was able to see that at certain times when a song or the television was playing that the text box for that would be a star-like jaggedy edged box. That helped me to figure out what was going on in some of the scenes. A few of the characters were kind of hard to keep up with the first time through.
But, what interested me most:
Who is V? It doesn't matter--the point is that V is an idea and his other alais is not important because he does not exist outside of the mask. V transformed himself from a single person into an all-encompassing idea. He was Vengence and he was Anarchy. He was a Destroyer and a Creator. V was not a murderer, he was a Vigilantie. V wasn't anything except what he stood for. V was throughout the entire novel a person behind a mask. Not once did V venture from behind that mask. Therefore, in the essence of the novel, V was simply V---the masked Liberator.
But only if you think Freedom from government and from self is Liberation.

2 comments:

Jewels said...

First, V did come out from behind his mask once, when he killed the doctor.
Second, I hadn't thought of Evey having a Phantom of the Opera-esque crush on V before. I mean I had that sense, but I just didn't know how to put it into words. And I think you did just that!
It is amazing how V did go from a single person to an idea. I can't even imagine what kind of self sacrifices that would take, because you would no longer have a self. You would be an idea, and an idea doesn't have longings, or desires, just a missing or goal that needs to be met.

f.v said...

true, although V took off his mask we never get to see his face. I wonder if we had seen his face the meaning of what he stands for would have changed or decrease. hmm the whole phantom of teh opera thing, so true!!!