Sunday, May 4, 2008

Black Hole

I pretty much loved Black Hole. It's definitely one of my favorite novels that we read this semester. I feel like this is one of those books that people either love or hate. The thing that gets me about Black Hole is how real and natural the characters and situations are portrayed, yet there's this surrealism that's thrown into the mix that oddly works great with the plot. The novel captures a perfect picture of our society. We have all had the feeling of being alienated from a group at one point or another, so while this case may be to a huge extreme, I still think that their stories are something that we could all relate to
One thing that stood out for me was the art. The "normal" kids are absolutely the definition of normal. None of them were drawn to be exceptionally attractive, which just adds to the realism of the characters. Then we are taken to the "infected" teenagers. While some aren't so bad (the girl with the tail and the webbed finger girl come to mind), many of them have developed grotesque physical mutations that ultimately forces them to become outcasts to society. I believe that the novel is so grounded in our actual society that the freaky images stand out even more to me. Anyway, It's really hard to explain what I'm trying to say when talking about this novel, so I hope this made some kind of sense.

0 comments: