Friday, January 25, 2008

Reverse psychology

Amplification through simplification: It is a concept McCloud spoke of as the very foundation of graphic novels and comic culture because it meets the reader halfway in representing just a vague icon of a certain idea, concept or personality. He states that the reader can become emotionally and intellectually involved with the plot and its characters most poignantly when among the many characters and their ideals there is a representation ofthemselves in which to place their own imaginations and interact with the story. I very much agree with this claim, because many of my favorite stories involve lone character that represents the way i percieve myself, therefore allowing me to imagine myself in an already immersing realistic or fantasy world and truly giving me a reason to love the author's representation of his world. And although that may be self-centered as McCloud claims, it works as the "everyman" hero attracts new readers to his broad representation of the human condition. I know from experiance:) LOVED the readings, and McCloud's nonchalant attitude while explaining all these "under the radar" concepts.

4 comments:

f.v said...

i never looked at it the way you described it but would have to agree! I think your coment on how you preceive yourself was very interesting and put me to think about what that meant for me.

bobbo124 said...

I completely agree with you, the best stories really are the ones where you imagine yourself as the hero. McCloud's explanations really opened my eyes to see how people see themselves in everything and how they respond to viewing things like graphic novels.

rburke said...

I really like how you interpreted McClouds reading, you pointed out things that i hadnt noticed when i did the reading. I have to agreee with you about the lone characters, and being able to see yourself as the hero. A very informative blogg.

Nikolee said...

I think it could go even farther into what we wish we could be...like an introvert identifing with and extrovert character. I really enjoyed that part as well, and I tend to identify with characters that seem to agree with personalty, also if you notice the people the character interacts with are usally some of the same kinds of people you interact with.