Thursday, January 31, 2008

Rich Origins and Broad Horizons

In Understanding Comics McCloud explores the extensive and diverse history of the modern comic strip, as well as the current social perceptions of comic books. He attempts to change some biases against comic culture by validating the well-established style of "sequential art" throughout art history and the archeology thereof. My thoughts on this are very positive, because now my obsession with this artform is somewhat validated! :P Anyway, McClouds personality and abstract way of describing his points of interest were successful in reaching and interacting with my sporatic brain waves.. so, in short, "well done".

4 comments:

Liz said...

Yeah, I agree, I like the fact that McCloud is showing his readers that comics--er, I mean sequential art--is an art form worthy of praise, study, and even obsession.

Jem said...

Agreed on the validation point. It's about time someone put comics in a light that makes it sound like a mature subject.

joshusry said...

ha... sequential art... classic

Nikolee said...

I agree with the validation, it made me happy. I mean, I find some graphic novels to have the same or even more literary merit than typical prose pieces, and I actually want to read graphic novels.