Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Vocabulary of Comics (McCloud)

Pipe. Painting of a pipe. Drawing of a painting of a pipe. Print copy of a drawing of a painting of a pipe. This is an interesting way to start talking about Comics, and it's true that things are not always what they seem. When we look at pictures there is no way of knowing the original source of the picture unless we made it ourselves. McCloud kicks off by discussing the definition of an Icon. Following this he comments on the way humans tend to see their face in such a thing as a plug socket. I was relieved to hear this, because I always thought I must be strange since I saw faces in wallpaper, painted walls, clouds, and a variety of other odd things. I enjoyed this reading assignment mostly because it was an easy reading in the form of a comic strip. What more could I ask for?

5 comments:

Jem said...

I agree it was a fun reading and quite easy to get through despite the really annoying this is a pipe but isn't a pipe but is a picture of a pipe but isn't a picture of a pipe.

joshusry said...

i definitely agree... i love the part about you finding faces in everything because i do that too... lol... much like you, i thought i was crazy lol... now we know that ALL humans are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shelly Gates said...

i think you should ask for comics that teach you something... duh...

matteo said...

It was a reassuring to know that I wasn't the only weird one in the world that has imagioned faces in electric outlets and the front of cars. I also think it's humerous with the 'is it a pipe or is it a painting of a pipe thing' because it reminded me of my younger cousin who always lets me know things like that. I may have said in an aggrivated tone, "look, i'm carrying all these groceries so quit poking me!!" and he would reply "you're not carrying groceries, you're carrying the bags, and i'm not poking you, i'm poking your shirt" hahaha.

Nikolee said...

Even if we make the picture our self and know the orginal source, is that orginal source always what it seems? Just something to ponder. It just seems like like more and more people, and even ourselves are getting hurt from things that weren't what they seemed...sorry we did a dystopian theme last year in AP4, so I tend to go to the dark side sometimes. But I liked your post esp. "the Pipe"