Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Understanding Comics

I really was on the fence with the understanding comics. I thought it was pretty good at the beginning but once McCloud got all insightful and got into the history of graphic novels it got really dull. I did like the argument with himself over the definition of the graphic novel. It was defiantly a good way to display different concepts about the graphic novel. Still no way to make history seem interesting. Although there was something that just bothered me. Why was the young McCloud so different in looks then the older McCloud? Oh and what was up with that Pre-Columbian “graphic novel”. Didn’t understand that either. All and all it wasn’t my favorite of the readings. I really had to struggle to get through it.

4 comments:

rebekah said...

Jem I like that you are being honest about how you actually felt about the reading. If it's boring then don't lie. However, I have to disagree with your comment about History always being uninteresting. There is so much to learn from the past and such a variety of topics to study.

mccallgrimes said...

I respect your opinion but i would have to agree with rebekah and say that history is such a great learning tool. Yes can be boring at times but i thought it was pretty interesting overall.

Nikolee said...

Why was it dull and how could he have depicted it to make it more interesting? I agree the Pre-Columbian graphic novel, was different but I think it was there to show hwo the graphic novel has changed and ev ovled throughout history. To answer the young vs. old McCloud dipictions, we all grow and change as time goes on. If you think about every aspect of life has an imprint on our appearance, so if we draw ourselves, we draw our life. Meaning, we don't really have a concrete image of what we look like, but we know who we are and what we portray; therefore, when McCloud drew himself, he drew what he had lived, and not nessicarly what we see with the naked eye.

f.v said...

I would have to also agree. Even though i've read a comic once, and noticing the difference in rhythm with McCloud's i still think it was an interesting way of delivering the information. I know it made it a lot easier for me to understand and grasp the concept. And ditto with the Pre-Columbian graphic novel, it was a way of describing teh birth and growth of teh graphic novel and how something that we wouldn't normally see as a comic can be.