Friday, March 28, 2008

Ending of V for Vendetta

This ending just blows my mind! So many significant events take place in these last pages. One thing I found fascinating is Mr. Finches visit to the Larkhill Resettlement Camp. I can’t believe he takes Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) to better understand how V thinks and what he experienced. And the scene where he sees all the smiling faces disappear through the wall confused me. Why does he miss everyone from the Gay Pride March. Is Finch gay? And if so, why was he not killed for having this quality? Unless he simply stayed quiet about his love for men. I think that it is interesting that three characters experience the naked freedom. I wish I understood exactly what emotion they are feeling. The main event that completely blows my mind is V’s death. Why does he have to die? Did he want to die? Was this part of his plan from the very beginning? Part of me wanted Evey to just take the mask off V so I can finally find out who he was. However, I love what Eve says about taking his mask off. I felt the same way. She says, “I tear the mask aside, and…No. No. That’s not it… Because you were so big, V, and what if you’re just nobody?... or even if you’re someone, you’ll be smaller, ‘cause of all the people that you could have been but weren’t…Oh, I don’t know…If I take off that mask. Something will go away forever, be diminished because whoever you are isn’t as big as the idea of you” (Moore, Lloyd 250). V was right when he said, “But you must never know my face” (Moore, Lloyd 245). V is to much of a hero to have a face. His secret identity must never be known. And even if it is disappointing to not see his face, it would be more so if we did.

0 comments: