Sunday, April 6, 2008

Into the Darkness of Adulthood

Charles Burns has a very interesting writing style to me. The entire plot and character developement are played out soley through the thoughts of mainly two characters: Chris and Kieth. Although the story is severely fragmented and has only hinted vaguely at the ending to come, I cant help but feel that there is a myriad of substance behind the words the characters speak and the images they see. I feel more involved with the character's lives than I usually do when reading, because the author's intent is to realistically convey the experiences of the characters, even as they encounter such bizarre events. So far I am really enjoying it. I could speculate on the correlation between adolescence/adulthood and a black whole, but I would rather wait to see how the author has crafted the story first (so I will get back to that..).

0 comments: