Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Understanding Comics

Throughout the ages comics have changed in style and manner, but the basics of comics innate in its definition is a juxtaposed pictorial and other image in deliberate sequence. I had hoped that receiving this information through the comic would be entertaining, but it was presented in a slow fashion. I felt annoyed on trying to answer “what is a comic?” when the whole time I was reading a comic. I must admit that the pictures were entertaining, but to read through frame by frame to receive very little content felt time consuming and tiring. I felt that it was an inefficient way of informing a reader about the broad and depths of a comic. I had hoped that the pace of the comic would soon change. The content began to be a bit more interesting when McCloud started go into the history of comics. It was interesting to see that Egyptian hieroglyphs and other cultural societies around the world had a form of sequential art. I found it particularly interesting that each culture had its own direction in reading their comic. It was from these differences between the styles that I could really see that comics had a malleable format around the parameters of its definition.

4 comments:

SEllington said...

I agree that first sentence alone after not reading the articles in a week I was “juxasconfused” as I was before reading the article a week ago. I do agree the article was a slow start to a fairly modern concept –the graphic novel.

plunk said...

Though I do agree that the comic went slowly, particularly the whole McCloud arguing with himself thing, but I still thought he did a pretty good job with it. When a comic isn't all guys beating each other up, reading through all the pictures can be time-consuming, but it's just something to get used to when reading graphic novels.

f.v said...

I would have to agree as well. It was a little bit slow in the begining but i thought that looking at aztek symbols and egyptian heiroglyphics as comics was interesting and fun

Nikolee said...

I agree the pace was slow, but I felt that reading it in prose would have been even slower, and less interesting. But I do see where your coming from.