Thursday, March 20, 2008

Almost finished reading V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta is one crazy book. The book takes place in the late 1990s in London after a war that lead England into chaos turned to order by fascism. Everybody lives a strict life under constant observation and propaganda by the departments of the law such as the ear, nose, eye, finger and mouth. The book shows that people have the power when it comes to order, and people are the ones that give law and order its power. In this society, V shows that people gave power to fascism whether direct or indirectly. V also shows that people have the power to take it back, and people who would die willingly for to get the power back have freedom from any oppression and government. At least, that's what I got from it...

I think V is a crazy character - he reminds me of Jigsaw from Saw. I really like the colors in this graphic novel a lot. I think it goes well with the settings as it is not rich but faded, dim and dark. I can get a feel of the despair in society. The only times when I see it distinct is in the color white in faces as ghastly and the red in blood. I noticed how it was easy to tell who is talking by dialogue bubbles...and that V's is a mysterious fog or cloud.

2 comments:

Jem said...

now that you mention it I do see how V is like jigsaw. Both sort of experiment with the human psychy. They have both seen the worst sides of humanity.
And yeah of course V is personification of people being able to take back power from the governement. And think about if you turn a V around when it's in a circle. Looks like an A. oh yeah that was deep.

f.v said...

hmm i have never seen Jigsaw, however, i think V is such an interesting and fascinating character. I am in a Stockholm syndrome phase, i am captured by V and pretty much adore him, teh way he machines everything, it is genious! however, in real life it owuld be kinda hard to justify his actions.