Tuesday, March 25, 2008

finished reading v for vendetta

I enjoyed reading the second part of V for Vendetta. I thought that V's torture of Evey was interesting way to show her freedom from "prisons" of life and the only person that's holding you back from your freedom is yourself. You can see that this is evident when Detective Finch finally takes the hallucenogens that he finally realizes that he is holding himself from his own freedom. Yet, even though he had reached this freedom and understanding of the way V thought...it left him secluded and lonely from society. In the beginning of the book in the diary of Dr. Delia, she writes that V looks at her as if she were a creature or a specimen. It seems as though, in knowing the truths of freedom that all those who cannot perceive the truth are merely animals in the sense of needing only eat and sleep.

I thought it was interesting the way the book had ended with Evey becoming the next V or in this case becoming the ideals held by V. I also liked how Vincent, the doorman, opens the door for "V" escaping the building. I found it interesting in the book that everytime that there was an important cryptic message or quote from V, that the graphics would zoom in on the mouth of V's mask. I really enjoyed the story of Valerie, the woman in experiment room IV. I thought her biography on toilet paper brought a sort of depth and poignancy that the freedom within the inch is the most precious thing in the world, and you just cannot let anyone take that away from you.

2 comments:

Jem said...

That note by Valerie was really weird for me. At first I thought it was some random girl in the cell next to Evey. Then I started to think V really did write the note. I mean V, Valerie.... Anyway but Valerie was just another factor that lead to the creation of V. We have room five, the experiment, and Valerie. I wonder if another factor will be introduced.

Liz said...

The way I see it once you're free from society the only thing you need is to eat and to sleep, and that is all you need, since you're free of everything else. Government shakles, Society, free of ourselves and the cages we all keep ourselves in. Then, you don't need government, you don't need society, and if you are truely free you don't need to prove anything. So the only thing you have left are your basic human needs-- food and sleep and shelter. At least, that's one way of looking at it. But, no, I do agree with you in that finding truth and being free of all that is mundane causes V to look at the rest of the world in a different light; more separate from himself, not really coexisting but more or less existing at a parellel to the world and that seems to be what detective finch discovers too; maybe that's why V doesn't kill him?